alloa history society
Category : Ikke kategoriseret
Alloa Historic Sites: See reviews and photos of 10 historic sites in Alloa, Scotland on Tripadvisor. 18th Century . Considerable additions have been made to the town, which is rapidly extending towards the west; and within the few last years numerous villas have been erected in that direction. Sang Y Cha, is the first Korean to be ordained to The Church of Scotland. The Hawkhill Standing Stone near Alloa is Clackmannanshire's finest example of this kind of monolith. ALLOA, a burgh of barony, sea-port town, and parish, in the county of Clackmannan, 7 miles (E.) from Stirling; containing the villages of Cambus, Coalyland, Holton-Square, and Tullibody. In the 1840s it was converted into a grain distillery and by the time of Barnard's visit in the mid 1880s the distillery covered 10 acres, employed 150 people, and had an annual output of 1.4 to 1.7 million gallons of pure grain whisky. Date/Time Thumbnail Dimensions User Comment; current: 11:38, 1 June 2016: 1,458 × 1,039 (133 KB): Bhadmin (Talk | … to 11s. 1804 Mills Brewery was opened. Much of the Kilncraigs complex has been demolished but a four-storey Edwardian Baroque block of 1903â4 survives, with an extension of 1936. It is advisable to contact us in advance to ensure the availability of the Archivist and to have items ready for you to view. To give some idea of the archives available for access, we highlight an example below. This had been preceded by an official opening on 15 May 2008, where LNER Gresley K4 61994 The Great Marquess hauled four specials to Stirling. Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time. It is a singular circumstance connected with the tides in this district, that there are what are called double or "leaky " tides, chiefly observed at high and low water, during spring-tides: when the tide has flowed apparently to its full height, it ebbs and flows downwards, until it has sunk from a foot to fifteen inches perpendicularly; the flowing then returns, and frequently overflows the first flowing, more than a foot in height. The Asda supermarket, opened in 2007, is adjacent to the site of the new railway station and was built on the land where the Alloa brewery once stood. Alloa was long associated with the brewing industry, with at least nine major breweries producing ales at its height. Timeline History of Alloa Go back. We are a small Company who deliver BIG performances to Alloa and the surrounding area. It carries on an extensive coasting, and a considerable foreign, trade, the latter chiefly with Holland and the Baltic. Way back in 1795 a certain Alexander Glen was running the Alloa distillery in the eponymous town. The return workings were hauled by Deltic 55022 Royal Scots Grey. Alloa is served by many food retailers including Iceland Frozen Foods, Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, Morrisons, Asda, Co-op Food and Farmfoods. One of the earliest maps of the area was made by surveyor and cartographer John Adair in 1681. Find ⏰ opening times for Yorkshire Building Society in 25 High Street, Alloa, Clackmannanshire, FK10 1JF and check other details as well, such as: ☎️ phone number, map, website and nearby locations. The parish church, erected by the heritors and feuars, in 1819, on a site given by the late John Francis, Earl of Mar, is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a lofty spire, together 207 feet in height, and contains 1561 sittings: the steeple of the old church is still remaining, and near it is the mausoleum of the Erskine family. , The town, formerly a burgh of barony, is the administrative centre of Clackmannanshire Council. "ALLOA, a parish, containing a town of the same name, also the villages of Cambus, Collyland, Tullibody, and Holton Square, and comprising the two ancient parishes of Alloa and Tullibody, in Clackmannanshire. Before 1775, the colliers were attached to the properties in which they were born and were virtual serfs or slaves, supported by the master. The town formerly contained a large number of 17th and 18th century buildings, but many were cleared with the expansion of milling operations and later with slum clearance in the 20th century. This is a spacious structure, of white freestone from a quarry in the park, beautifully situated on a gentle acclivity, within about 200 yards of the old tower, and inclosing a quadrangular area 180 feet in length, and 120 feet in breadth. ALAN TROUTEN was the Alloa penalty hero as they made history against Hearts and booked a quarter-final spot. How to reference this page: GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alloa in Clackmannanshire | Map and description, A … Buy Alloa Co-Operative Society Ltd., 1862-1912: A Historical Survey on the Occasion of the Society's Jubilee, 1912... by Society, Alloa Co online on Amazon.ae at best prices. The iron-foundry, and works for the manufacture of steam-engines, are also very extensive, employing nearly 100 men. Alloa History. After the improvements were made to the harbour during the 18th century, Alloa thrived as a river port through which the products of Glasgow manufacture were exported to continental Europe. The congregation is served by the Rev. The towns are now distinct, albeit with Lornshill in the middle, and Alloa is about twice the size of its north-western neighbour.  Dr Jamieson stated that the most probable etymology of the name was from Aull Waeg â the way to the sea.. Background. The project also involved the construction of a new bypass road, and a bridge which replaced a level crossing in the town. Four entrance lodges, also, have been recently built; but the whole of the arrangements are not yet completed. The distillery at Carse Bridge is nearly equal in extent. Several Roman coins have been discovered in different parts of the parish; and a few years since, a brass coin was dug up, having the letters S.C. on the one side, and on the other the legend "Augustus Tribunus". Clackmannanshire Archives & Local History Service Browse repositories. Your results: 2805 issues filtered by: Newspaper title: Alloa Journal Cookies on BNA: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience, for advertising purposes, … There are churches of other denominations in the town, including a Baptist church, and St John's Episcopal Church. By 1980 the Carsebridge Distillery was the largest grain distillery in Scotland, however it closed in 1983 and was demolished in 1992.  Closures and mergers during the mid-20th century reduced the number of breweries to two and by 1999 after the closure of MacLay's Thistle Brewery, only one remained, the Forth Brewery which became Williams Bros. in 2003. Another big chunk of our history – famous brick & tile works: Alloa bricks made right here in the town – went all over the world – like our glass and pottery. Commercial glass making began in the 17th century when Sir George Hay set up works at East Wemyss in Fife in 1610, producing windows, glasses and bottles. History of Ceramics in Scotland; The Early Years of the SPS; Potteries Menu Toggle. The United Free Church of Scotland has a presence in Alloa through the congregation at Moncrieff United Free Church in Drysdale Street. The town has two high schools; Lornshill Academy and Alloa Academy. In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described South Alloa like this: .  The name of the town has had different spelling at different periods.  While building a road to Alloa Academy in 1828, an ancient burial site was found at Mars Hill, with several finds including two gold armlets. The old houses in the principal streets have been mostly taken down, and replaced with modern buildings of handsome appearance; and many of the shops display much elegance of style.  The Alloa Swing Bridge was opened to the public on 1 October 1885.  River Forth (1956) B&W silent 15 mins, An alternative interpretation â Dr Jamieson, the author of the, Dictionary of Scottish Architects: Robert Lorimer, Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, "Old port in a new storm. In the charter granted by King Robert the Bruce in the year 1315, to Thomas de Erskyne, it is called Alway; in some subsequent ones, Aulway, Auleway; and more recently Alloway. 4. 804 likes. The church is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Dunkeld. Privacy | According to Alfred Barnard, the Victorian historian of British distilling and brewing, the distillery was founded as a malt distillery by John Bald in 1799. Dollar History Society: At the Society's next meeting on 13th November the group shall look forward to the welcome return of Mr. Robin…  More recently the Wee County News was launched in 1995 but went into liquidation in 2011. Alloa is home to one professional football club: Alloa Athletic Football Club. The principal front occupies the whole width of the area, forming an elegant specimen of the Grecian style; and the interior contains numerous stately apartments, superbly decorated. The population of Alloa was estimated to be approximately 20,730 residents in 2016. , After whisky ceased to be produced at Carsebridge, the cooperage remained as one of two owned by Diageo in Scotland. The river Devon flows through the south-western portion of the parish, into the Forth, at the village of Cambus, about two miles from Alloa; and the Black Devon, after forming part of its eastern boundary, takes a western course, and flows through the parish into the Firth of Forth at Clackmannan. In 2008, 30 people worked there rebuilding or repairing up to 400 bourbon casks, imported from the US, each day. Boat-building is pursued, and there is a dry-dock for repairing vessels; the making of sails and ropes is also considerable, and there are numerous mills, driven by water and steam. The team currently play in the SPFL League 1 but recently competed in the Scottish Championship, formerly the Scottish Football League First Division, after being promoted as winners of a play-off with Dunfermline Athletic, the season after being crowned champions of the Scottish Football League Third Division at the end of the 2011â12 season. Its current minister, the Rev. Aye – was frae a laddie fae Alloa! Muslims who are unable to attend a mosque can use this space as a place of prayer, worship and education. Alloa grew up under the protection of Alloa Tower which may have been built before 1300 AD. Dr Jamieson stated that the most probable etymology of the name was from Aull Waeg – the way to the sea. Transport Minister Stewart Stevenson officially reopened the line. The 35-year-old playmaker kept … The Speirs Centre was built as Alloa's swimming pool in 1895 and was designed by Sir John Burnet of Glasgow. The Stirling-Alloa-Kincardine rail link project was completed in May 2008. This yeast production lasted until 1938. Passengers can travel to Inverness, Edinburgh Waverley and Aberdeen with a change at Stirling, however for journeys to or from Edinburgh passengers with heavy luggage may find it more convenient to change at Larbert, where Edinburgh and Glasgow services use the same platform. Extensive tanneries are carried on at Tullibody, in which leather is made to the amount of £20,000 annually; and there are also works for the manufacture of glue, belonging to the same company, and mills, driven by steam, for grinding bones for manure, together affording employment to about forty men. Please see events for the programme. Despite extensive internal and external alterations, the Tower retains its original medieval wooden roof and battlements, as well as some internal features. Alloa is linked to the historic Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders housed at Stirling Castle. There are also places of worship for members of the Free Church, the United Presbyterian Church, Independents, Wesleyans, and Swedenborgians; and an episcopal chapel, erected in 1840 from a design by Mr. Angus. The plantations consist mostly of oak and other hard-wood trees, intermixed with firs; they are regularly thinned, and are in a thriving state. Wool was also locally plentiful and in the early part of the 19th century, John Paton set up a small yarn-spinning business in the town, later establishing Kilncraigs Mill. Fast and free shipping free returns cash on delivery available on eligible purchase. From the higher of the eminences, none of which exceed 400 feet in elevation above the Forth, are views of picturesque and romantic character; a fine tract of rich carse land extends along the banks of the Forth, and the scenery, enriched with wood, and interspersed with streams, is of very pleasing aspect. Clackmannanshire is a small county in the interior of Scotland, and is, in fact, known as "The Wee County" due to it being the smallest county in Scotland. Row breaks out as harbour seeks revival", "A map of Strath Devon and the district between the Ochils and the Forth", "Gartmorn Dam Country Park and Nature Reserve", "Walk in the Past: History of Carsebridge Distillery", "Scottish Brewing Archives: FAQ Alloa Breweries", "Thistle Brewery Alloa: Archaeological Appraisal", "Large scale Scottish town plans, 1861â1862", "MEDIA Wee County newcomer makes the local headlines", "Wee County News Publisher Plunged into Liquidation", ClacksNet â Clackmannanshire's Community Network, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Alloa&oldid=990185938, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles containing Scottish Gaelic-language text, Wikipedia articles with MusicBrainz area identifiers, Wikipedia articles with WORLDCATID identifiers, Srpskohrvatski / ÑÑÐ¿ÑÐºÐ¾Ñ ÑÐ²Ð°ÑÑÐºÐ¸, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, "Alloa and its Environs: A descriptive and Historical Sketch", Alloa Advertiser, 1861, This page was last edited on 23 November 2020, at 08:19. Alloa's oldest newspaper, the Alloa Advertiser, was founded in 1841 as a monthly but in 1855 is became a weekly. In 1978 the Very Rev Dr Peter Brodie (then minister at St Mungo's) was elected Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland.  At that time, and until the 1950s, the main industry to the north and east of the town was coal mining. On Greenside Street, in the old Greenside mission hall (a mission of Moncrieff United Free Church), is Alloa Elim Pentecostal Church. In 1559, the French forces under General D'Oysel, who were stationed on the coast of Fife, on the appearance of the English fleet made a precipitate retreat to Stirling; but being retarded in their progress by Kirkcaldy of Grange, who had broken down the bridge of Tullibody, they unroofed the church, and, converting the timbers into a temporary bridge, effected their escape across the Forth. , In the 18th century the staple business of the port was coal with about 50,000 tons a year exported.. John-street, planned by John, Earl of Mar, in the year 1704, is about eighty feet in width, leading to the quay, and terminating in a gravel-walk, shaded by a row of lime-trees on each side, and forming a pleasant promenade.
Midi Vs Usb, Intercom System Wiring Diagram, Krishi Job Circular 2020, Whirlpool 4396710 Amazon, Calories In Plain Dosa With Oil, Square, Circle, Triangle Meaning, White Resin Side Table, Examples Of Internet Technologies, Linux Cheat Sheet Pdf, Tints Of Nature Simple Healthier Hair Colour, How To Craft Suspicious Looking Skull,